Socializing & training for all breeds from 9 weeks old
in a relaxed homely environment by Karen Gray-Kilfoil & other behaviourists
Own a SMART Puppy: Sociable, well-Mannered, Attentive, Relaxed & Trained
The PUPPY PRE-SCHOOL course consists of 6 lessons, each of which includes different aspects of these important elements of puppy development:
- Socialization of puppies with other puppies & people, in a supervised & controlled manner
- Habituation: Exposure of puppies to a variety of stimuli, handling & environments, to build confidence
- Training: Puppies learn to walk on a lead, come, sit, etc.
- Education: Owners learn to prevent unacceptable behaviour (e.g. toilet training, nipping, etc.) & about general care (e.g. grooming, diet, etc.)
How the course works:
The 6 one hour lessons are held over 6 to 8 weeks. It is a roll on, roll off system, so you can begin with any lesson. You may continue bringing your puppy to as many classes as you like, providing your puppy plays gently with the younger puppies.
Age to start: (IMPORTANT!)
Your puppy MUST be between 9 & 16 weeks old when starting. This is essential for socialization to be most effective. If your puppy is over 16 weeks old, then find a training class for older puppies at www.AnimalBusinessNetwork.co.za/Trainers.aspx
. Also your puppy must have had at least one vaccination, at least a week before its first class.
Who can come:
Interested family & friends are welcome to come along. Children under 10 must be supervised by an adult.
The classes are held partly in Karen's secure garden & partly in a park between Barque & Boeier Crescents, Sun Valley (between Fish Hoek & Noordhoek, South Peninsula). If using What3Words app: dismissive.hedgehogs.beeping
Day & time:
Most Sunday mornings at 9am
R600,00 per puppy for the course, OR R100,00 per class. Half price for welfare-adopted puppies. Payable at the puppy's first class or within a week thereafter. Cash or EFTs are accepted. Student & pensioner discounts on request.
Please supervise children (no swimming) & puppies around the pool. Most puppies can swim, but need to be taught where to get out. Please ask about how to do this if you have a swimming pool.
Puppy classes are NEVER cancelled due to bad weather. It's a good idea for pups to get used to being out in all weather, particularly for toilet-training purposes. There is enough cover to shelter in if necessary, but bring a raincoat for you & a towel for your puppy.
For class dates, photos, relevant information, videos & news go to:
To book your place in the class or for more information contact Karen:
Tel: 021 785 5811
Please bring the following to classes:
- Healthy puppy between 9 & 16 weeks old
- Veterinary certificate with at least 1 vaccination (given at least a week prior to the class)
- Small tasty treats for your puppy (e.g. cold meat, cheese, dry wors, soft dog biscuits)
- Collar or harness on puppy (Get puppy used to it at home, if possible.)
- Lead made of soft webbing & 1.5m or longer (preferably no chains)
- Plastic bags to be used as poop scoops
- Puppy toy for lesson 3
- Brush or other grooming tool for lesson 4 (if you have one)
- Fancy dress for lesson 5 (e.g. hat/mask/uniform/sporting kit)
- Course fee
Home visits are also available on request.
If the venue or time doesn't suit you, please go to this page for a list of other puppy schools:
SPONSORED & ACCREDITED BY: